Health Assessment Clinic in Rochester, NY
A health assessment is a plan of care that outlines a person’s requirements and how the medical professional will meet those needs. It is a thorough evaluation of one’s health state through a physical exam and a medical record. Charles L. Montante, MS, CASAC, LMHC, offers health assessment, a comprehensive approach to overall wellness, and emphasizes important lifestyle factors that may be modified and influence a healthy lifestyle. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 919 Westfall Road Building B, Suite 60 Rochester, NY 14618.
Table of Contents:
Who performs a health assessment?
What is done at a health assessment?
What are the different types of health assessments?
What are the steps of a complete health assessment?
Who is the best candidate for a health assessment?
Health assessments can be performed by a variety of healthcare professionals, including mental health therapists, counselors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and primary care physicians. A mental health therapist or counselor is a licensed healthcare professional trained in providing therapy to help individuals manage their mental health and emotional concerns. They may perform a mental health assessment as part of their evaluation process to determine an individual’s mental health status and develop a treatment plan.
A primary care physician can also perform a health assessment as part of a routine check-up or if a patient presents symptoms of a mental health disorder. In some cases, primary care physicians refer the patient to a mental health specialist for further evaluation and treatment.
During the assessment, the healthcare professional usually conducts a clinical interview to gather information about the individual’s personal and medical history, including any family history of health conditions. The healthcare professional may also administer psychological tests to assess cognitive and emotional functioning, as well as evaluate any existing symptoms of mental health disorders.
Based on the results of the assessment, the healthcare professional will develop a personalized treatment plan. This may include therapy, medication management, or referrals to other healthcare professionals. The goal of a health assessment is to provide individuals with the necessary tools and resources to support their physical and emotional well-being and improve their quality of life.
There are several types of health assessments used in healthcare, depending on the purpose and area of focus. They include:
• Physical health assessment – This type of health assessment evaluates a person’s physical health and identifies any existing or potential medical conditions. This assessment is usually performed by a primary care physician or nurse practitioner.
• Mental health assessment – A mental health assessment is used to evaluate mental health and emotional state, including existing or potential mental health disorders. This type of assessment can be performed by a mental health therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, or primary care physician.
• Functional health assessment – This health assessment is used to monitor an individual’s ability to perform daily living activities, such as bathing, dressing, and eating.
• Occupational health assessment – An occupational health assessment is used to assess a person’s health and fitness for a specific job or occupation. This type of health assessment is often required by employers to ensure the safety and well-being of their employees.
Health assessments vary depending on the provider and the reason for the assessment, but the general steps include:
• Medical history – The healthcare provider will begin by gathering your medical history, which includes any past illnesses, surgeries, medications, allergies, and family history of medical conditions.
• Physical exam – A physical exam will be conducted. This typically includes evaluating your head, neck, chest, abdomen, arms, legs, and other areas of the body.
• Mental health assessment – The practitioner will perform a mental health assessment to gauge your mental and emotional state.
• Laboratory tests – Your healthcare provider may order laboratory tests, such as blood tests, urine tests, or imaging studies, to further evaluate your health.
• Health risk assessment – A health risk assessment may be used to identify any risk factors for chronic diseases, such as smoking, poor nutrition, or physical inactivity.
• Lifestyle assessment – During the health assessment, the medical professional may ask you questions about your lifestyle, including diet, exercise habits, sleep patterns, and substance use.
• Recommendations and referrals – Based on the results of the assessment, the healthcare provider may give you recommendations for lifestyle changes, medications, or further evaluation by a specialist.
Anyone who wants to take a proactive approach to their health and well-being is a great candidate for a health assessment. A health assessment is especially valuable for those who have a family history of chronic illness or are experiencing symptoms that may indicate an underlying health problem. It is also recommended for those starting a new exercise program, diet, or medication regimen. Additionally, employers may require health assessments as part of a wellness program or as a pre-employment requirement. Ultimately, a health assessment is a very valuable tool for anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of their health status and take steps to improve their overall well-being.
The health assessment is intended to provide you with an overview of your current health and health risks. Health Assessment is available at Westfall Associates. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 919 Westfall Road Building B, Suite 60 Rochester, NY 14618. We serve patients from Rochester NY, Brighton NY, West Henrietta NY, East Rochester NY, Irondequoit NY, Greece NY, and surrounding areas.